The SCAA Instructor Development Program is one of our most popular professional development programs. Specialty Coffee Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) can advance their training and education skills through workshops on adult learning principles in the workplace, instructional design (based on the ADDIE model developed by the American Society for Training & Development), testing, evaluation and class management. Upon completion of the one-day program, students earn the SCAA Lead Instructor Credential and are eligible to volunteer as an Instructor for SCAA. Many students enthusiastically report an increase in quality and delivery of their training and instructional design in their own companies after completing the IDP. This course is particularly beneficial for the coffee expert who trains others, but has no formal coursework in training, adult education, or organisational learning.
This course is a pre-requisite for future advanced IDPs. Set forth below are detailed class objectives.
1. Recognising education and training as an element of organisational success;
- Orientation to the SCAA’s Professional Development department
- Incorporating your company’s mission, vision and strategic goals into your training initiatives
- Instructor and trainer competencies for the SCAA and at work
2. Applying adult learning principles;
- Recognise four key adult learning principles;
- Grasp basics of adult learning theory and begin translating theory into practice;
- Identify characteristics of adult learners and take them into consideration when conducting classes;
- Recognise how adult learners process information, and strategise class design.
3. Setting clear, measurable skill and knowledge objectives;
4. Designing instruction using the ADDIE model of the American Society for Training and Development;
5. Exhibiting professional presentation skills;
6. Evaluating learner performance and leveraging learning back at work.
Cost $260.00 SCAA Members, $290.00 Non Members
Class size: Max 12 students